Thursday, April 24, 2003

On Wednesday night I had another Korean adventure - my first time at the doctor. My voice was nearly gone after yelling at evil children all Tuesday night while I was working at the Hagwon. Barb, becoming increasingly worried about my cold (she has become quite maternal), insisted that I see a doctor. Now I am not one of those people that goes to the doctor very often. I personally think most people waste doctors' time with annoying complaints. I've been to the doctor maybe five times since I was ten. But nevertheless I agreed to go.

The doctors visit was not very exciting. I'd like to say it was some anicent Asian ritual or something, but it was basically like visiting the doctor at home. He had Ok English (Koreans use English medical textbooks) and asked me normal doctor questions. He told me I had a virus, not a cold. I think everytime I've ever gone to the doctor when I'm sick, I've been told I have a "virus." I have a biology degree, I'd like a little more information than "virus." The flu is a virus, SARS is a virus. Anywho, I have a "virus." I was given the usual advice: rest, fluids, yadda, yadda. He also wrote me a prescription. The prescription was for five pills, three times a day! I don't even know if AIDS patients have a regimen like that.

So right now I'm hopped up on five flavours of unknown medicine (biologists also aren't supposed to take mystery medication either), and it's quite the buzz. Luz told me she was once given vallium for a flu. I could use some vallium now. So, despite some dificult times lately, I'm adrift on a sea of Korean cold medication...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home