Tuesday, April 01, 2003

We started our second official semester at LG today. In addition to my four executives and my class in the Purchasing Department, I teach a Beginner/Intermediate class and and Advanced class in Plant 4. I have 15 people registered in my B/I class, but only eight showed up today. Five of those eight were students from my previous Beginner class, plus three new students. My old students are great and I'm really excited to have them back. One of my students, Chris (Sun Ah), is a 27 year-old young woman. It's hilarious to see the demeanour of the men (there were no girls in the previous class) change becuase there is a woman in the classroom. They try and joke with her a lot. My Advanced class has six people, which is an improvement on the three in my Intermediate/Advanced Class.

It is now spring in Korea. In Canada everyone prays for spring to come. In Korea you can set your watch by it. I didn't believe it at first. Everyone was saying "Oh, spring will be here next Thursday." But lo and behold, the day came and spring with it. No more chilly wind or keeping the heat (sweet, sweet Korean in-floor heating) pumped up. Korea is at the perfect temperature right now. It's 20 degrees Celsius in Gumi today. Just warm enough that you don't need a jacket, but don't sweat to death in your work clothes. Correction: I don't need my jacket - the Koreans still seem bundled up.

The best part about spring is that things are growing. I can see green! I was getting depressed from the drab brown Korean winter. So much brown - brown dirt, trees, leaves buildings, clothing, everything. I would pay anything to be in Kananaskis right now. It cheers me up just to see the green trees and the weeds poking up through the sidewalk .

I am not looking forward to summer, however. 20 degrees is just fine by me, thank you very much. Gumi and Daegu are the hottest places in Korea. Then there's the rainy season - yuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home