Tuesday, May 20, 2003

So we're somehow back in semi-employed limbo, even though we're back at work. We started at LG again on Monday. We weren't banned from the bus or the gates of the company or anything, so the SARS paranoia hasn't hit too badly. The atmosphere here in the Purchasing Team is perfectly normal, although the same can't be said for Barb in the Training Team.

We were told to come back to work, but that we would only be teaching our executives this week, and not our group classes (save for my Purchasing class). We both enjoy our group classes, so it was a little disappointing. Since we've been back, Jane has been to the plant and has been in and out of meetings with people in the training team. Jo is apparently away for education (overseas, ironically...) and God forbid she deal with this in the two weeks she had. So Barb talked to Jane (I don't know exactly what was said) and she said that we will be teaching just our executives, probably until the middle of June. Now we were originally told that we would be starting our classes again after this week, but now it looks like no classes for us. It seems, in my opinion at least, that we are now re-fired. Or at least maybe re-fired. I'm not sure when anyone plans on telling us exactly what's happening.

I'm not sure where the logic in this whole thing is, or who exactly this benefits. We are back at LG, (presumably) being paid, yet we're not teaching our group classes. This doesn't benefit our students, as they have had their semester interrupted and have new teachers that are unexperienced with them. It also doesn't benefit the company, as their employees aren't getting the best training. We would be leaving our jobs (for a reason unrelated to teaching performance) and would be replaced. Our executives would then have to readjust to new teachers, who probably wouldn't have any experience. This also doesn't benefit the executives or the company. So if this situation plays out, the only person I can see benefiting from this is Jo. She can feel like she "showed us" for going to Thailand, at the expense of the company, its employees, and executives. Doesn't seem like a smart move by a low-level manager to me.

Our executives don't seem to know much about the situation. None of my executives thus far has seemed mad at me for missing the two weeks. In fact Mr. Cha thanked me for the "break." They're far to busy to be upset at having more free time. My group students are obviously confused about why I am not teaching them, especially now that I am back. I've been emailing them and trying to keep them updated. Some of them have also contacted Jo and asked her why I'm not teaching them. They seem to want me back, so that's a good thing. I could maybe understand if they replaced us within the timeframe we were gone from the company, but now that we're back it seems silly to replace us. What do they gain? Jo gets to assert her righteousness? Pile o' crap if you ask me.

Our executives all seem to like us pretty well, at least most of them. I'm assuming if Jo tries to fire their teachers (for no good reason) they will be pretty upset. At least I would be, were I in that situation. Add to that that the group students will be complaining and we've got quite a bit of support in our corner. Not to sound vindictive (ok, I am being vindictive) but if she tries to can us, I will ensure it's hell for her. Jane and Jo already got heat for trying to fire Ammaron, one of the previous teachers, and they even had a good reason for that (student complaints). Mr. Lee Hang-sang, head of the Purchasing Team (who likes me a lot too) essentially made them keep him on.

Jo and the Training Team are not our only problems. Despite the conciliatory nature of our last meeting with Jane, she is right back to being irrational about the whole thing. She's doing her usual non-listening and asking questions that have been answered hundreds of times. She has provided us with no help in figuring out what's going on and has told us nothing. She's crazy I tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home