Friday, August 01, 2003

Partying with the housewives

Ah, what an interesting night last night. There were no classes on Thursday, as it's "summer vacation" at Kang's until Monday. My 10am class wanted to go out for dinner and drinking (the two favorite Korean past-times). Wednesday was Christine's last day in class, as she is going to take a TESOL course (to be an English teacher). She's been at the school for a year, so everyone wanted to have a going-away party for her. Now everyone in my 10am class, except for the two guys, Thomas and Ross, are young housewives. Thomas and Ross couldn't make it out last night, so it was destined to be an interesting night. Now nearly all Korean housewives are university-educated, and many have had careers. Needless to say they can find the housewife life a little boring, so they love to cut loose.

Barb and I met the girls (minus Amy) at 3:30 and from there we went to see Terminator 3 at the Daehan theatre. The movie was nothing deep, but it was a fun action flick. And who doesn't love Arnold? After the movie we met up with Amy and went for dinner in Myeongdong, Korea's trendy fashion district. We had galbi (beef) rib dinner. It was ok, but I've never been a rib fan. After that we went for ice cream / drinks at a cafe. We had several options for the night ahead of us. I thought we would be hitting a pub or an outdoor soju-tent. Man was I wrong. We went to JJ's, one of Korea's ritzy hotel nightclubs. I was in no way dressed for clubbing in my T-shirt and sport sandals, but we went nonetheless. We were treated to 8000 Won beer (very expensive for Korea) and cheesy electronica. We still had fun though. I played pool and darts with the girls and they complained about married life. I even got them on the dance floor a couple of times. Hopefully I'll be able to go out with them again sometime.

Amy tries her backshot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home