Friday, March 12, 2004

So, I am still without a TV. While I do not miss most of the drivel that is on the box these days, as a repatriated Canadian I do miss hockey. I've been trying to find a good sports bar here in Ottawa, preferably close to home. While walking home from my four hour French class last night (yuck) I saw a TV in the window of a bar showing an Ottawa vs Calgary game. "Egad!," I said to myself, "The new home team vs the flames. I must see it." All the bars I walked by had disappointingly small TVs though. When I was nearly home I passed Nickels (those of you more informed than I will have now seen through to the punchline). Nickels is a cafe / pub / restaurant type establishment that I have not gone into before because of it just looked too "polished," chainy, and yuppy for my tastes. But there inside was a big screen showing the Flames game. I decided I must go in.

Once inside I was promptly seated in front of the telly and ordered myself an over-priced pitcher of Canadian and some fries (too much poutine for me already this week). A glance at the menu revealed that indeed this place was as over-polished as I suspected. Sports bars should not have the words brochette, primavera, pomodoro, or baguette anywhere on the menu, unless they are the surnames of a hockey player. But the beer was cold, the fries good, and the hockey excellent. Later to my horror it was revealed to me that Nickels is in fact the chain of restaurants owned by Celine Dion. Mon dieu! I can't believe I actually frequented the establishment owned by that shrill songstress. It explains all the old Quebecois ladies that came in later, though.

Do I regret supporting the banshee of evil? Only somewhat. I got to see the Flames beat the Senators. Fair trade I say, but I will continue to seek out a new venue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home