Monday, July 05, 2004

Does whatever a spider can

I just got back from watching Spider-Man 2 "virtually" with Barb. Amazing! It was one of the best comic/super-hero movies I've ever seen (Although SM1 was great too). The acting was great and the actors all fit their parts excellently, especially the Bugle staff. Tobey, whom I was a little suspicious about suring the original casting, now fits the part perfectly. The action was great and it was hilarious in a lot of parts, which is how a Spider-Man movie should be. The movie really took advantage of Peter Parker as a character which is something Marvel has always done well with the SM comics. It avoided being Superman-y, which is a problem I found with the first one. Easy to see why this is the best-reviewed film of 2004 so far.

The focus on the role of the hero, a common theme in SM comics, played out wonderfully in this film. I thought the plot was so great they could have easily stretched the ideas in this film into two films, but it doesn't feel rushed. It's quite interesting that in George Bush's pre-emptive--strike, black & white, good & evil, with-us or against-us world it's an uncertain, pensive, and reluctant hero that audiences are flocking to see.

The only big complaint I have about this movie is the origin of Doctor Octopus. I have created arms that require me to wear them but also require artificial intelligence for some reason. Luckily I am protected by this glowing lightbulb on the back of my neck. What could possibly go wrong!? I'm not sure why they chose Doc Ock out of the plethora of SM villans anyway, but aside from the origin it played out very well. I had a couple other minor complaints, but I would spoil the plot if I mentioned them.

Great movie, and highly recommended. My two biggest complaints? How long I had to wait for SM2, and how long I'll have to wait for SM3. I want annual SM movies! Anyway, go see it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home