Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Old Yeller



So all the Ottawa papers complained about how ugly the vintage 1920 jersey is. I didn't like it at first. I've never really liked yellow jerseys, especially those god-awful Bruins third jerseys. But as I watched the game it grew on me and I have given it the Toby seal of approval.

I'm a bit of a sucker for that nostalgia stuff though. The 1920 Winnipeg Falcons were a team of Icelandic immigrants that created their own league to play hockey. The Icelanders quickly developed as a skilled and rugged hockey team and handily won the Manitoba and Western finals before advancing to the Allan Cup final in Toronto, where they faced the heavily favored University of Toronto for Canada’s senior hockey championship and a right to represent the country at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. No Canadian legend is complete without some Torontonians getting their asses kicked, especially when it's U of T students. At Antwerp, the Falcons defeated Czechoslovakia, the United States and eventually Sweden in the final game by a 12-1 final to earn Canada's first olympic hockey gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home