Friday, October 29, 2004

I must apologize for the lack of blogging over the past month or so. I have been insanely busy. I still am, but I need at least a small break, so here I am blogging. While rabid political-scientists (or hacks, take your pic) have been focused on the election down south for the last month or twelve, there is another election going on back in my second-home province. This once could not be more opposite in its predictability, but it is interesting nonetheless. Phendrana Drifts says of the election:
"...it is going to be a great campaign. Intelligent, thought-provoking and about Alberta and where we want to go. Or at least I hope so."
I had hoped so too. Every now and then I try to convince myself that Ralph Klein is not a jackass. I tell myself that while he is a conservative he is relatively socially liberal and a good governor, and he is fiscally responsible as opposed to the American brand of neo-con. But then he goes and does something like this. Then I have to give it up and concede that yes, while he can slay a mean debt, he is undeniably a huge jackass. It wasn't enough for him to attack homeless people. One of the most powerful men in the country, with no real political threats, felt the need to lash out at disabled people - both at a systemic and individual level.

While the electorate may not feel the need to remind him of it, Alberta is still a democracy. In a democracy you hold no legitimate power other than that given to you by the people. All people, not just your supporters. People have the right to disagree with and heckle you. Not to throw pies, mind you, but to exercise their right of free speech. You don't have to agree with, or even acknowledge them. But you do have to respect them. You can refute their argument. But to say that someone "doesn't look handicapped"? Mr. Klein is an intelligent man, and surely as an alcoholic he is aware that you cannot tell someone's medical condition by looking at them. To suggest that someone is not handicapped because they have a cowboy hat on? Truly that is the height of arrogance.

Were Mr. Klein in the midst of a brutal election campaign his behaviour might be understandable, if not excusable. But he has no need to be disrespectful towards the disabled. His campaig focus is already disingenuous, does he really need to score cheap political points by attacking the most vulnerable in society?

I am under no illusions that Mr. Klein will be punished for his arrogance that has bordered on bullying during his latest term. He will ride to an easy victory once again, and conservatives will gather in bars to drink and brag about how Klein showed Ottawa and those handicapped people.

Dick & Ralph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home