Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bluesfest: Day 8 - I'm a rocker. I rock out.

Didn't pay much attention during Wintersleep last night, but they seemed good. Holy Fuck was awesome. Picture a bunch of guys on stage with drums, guitar, and bass plus an array of Casio keyboards, effects boards, mixers etc. mimicking 'electronic' music (no vocals). It's like half video game music, half rock. It sounds like that might be good, but it's great. They don't take themselves too seriously, so it's fun, fun music. I checked out their tour schedule and they seem to be doing a lot of festivals, which is odd, as I'd love to catch them in a club where people are feeling more dancey.

Fiery Furnaces were all kinds of 'meh.' Pretentious New York hipsters playing amazingly bland and repetitive rock. Not bad, but nothing special at all. Wintersleep and Holy Fuck played really short sets, and I don't understand how Fiery Furnaces got higher billing on the tour. Theories put forward by acquaintances were that they have New York 'cred' and the lead singer is a woman.

I've never seen Metric before, and they put on a great show. It's great synth rock, and it rocks out in a way that I enjoy more than the Montreal sound of BSS, etc. Emily's voice is so perfect for the sound, it just melts you when she's singing. I used to hate any electronica in rock, but Metric is so good at it. The band didn't interact with the crowd very much, which was good and bad. Normally I want more interaction, but the one time Emily spoke she sounded pretty stupid, frankly. Let's hope she was toasted or something.

Barb missed a lot last night as she slinked off to watch some of her boys-with-acoustic-guitars music. Speaking of that, I'll probably catch Danny Michel today. Rosanne Cash and Wilco are playing tonight, but I don't know what I'll go to in between there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home