Thursday, November 23, 2006

Nationhoodie

I really wish Warren Kinsella would write something to piss me off. I've been agreeing with him and Wells far too often lately.

I'm not sure whether or not I think Quebec is a nation, but I do know this: It doesn't matter. I wish everyone would just stop talking about it. Why are we so obsessed in Canada with wasting our energy on things that just don't affect the lives of Canadians. Will one single Quebeccer feel better knowing that the House of Commons considers Quebec a nation (as opposed to a Distinct Society, which they've already done)? Perhaps we can end western alienation by voting on a resolution saying that "The prairies and the Rockies are super awesome."

I don't know if Harper really had a lot of choice here, though. While there is some political opportunism I think he is also trying to just make this whole thing go away.

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Some political opportunism? SOME? This is Duceppe's opportunism as much as Harper's! Duceppe's party no longer had reason to exist (which Harper was trying ot point out); now they must be elected to continue to assert Quebec's 'speical status' in the House (for radical Quebecer). Meanwhile, Harper has stolen the moderate quebecers from the Liberals. Political Opportunism all around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home